33: Freemasons

33:1  Masonic Temple
33:2  Clifton Lodge #664, F. & A. M.
33:3  Cunningham Chapter, N. 187
33:4 Cunningham Chapter, N. 187
33:5  Gaston G. Allen, N. o. 629, F. & A.M.
33:6  History of Job's Daughters
33:7  Knights of Columbus, Lakewood Council No. 2643
33:8  Lakewood Lodge No. 729, K. of P.
33:9  Holy Grail Commandery No. 70
33:10  Lincoln Chapter No. 309, O.E.S.
33:11  Lakewood Lodge No. 601, F. & A.M.
33:12  Lakewood Council, No. 125










33:1
MASONIC TEMPLE
E. GEORGE LINDSTROM'S UNPUBLISHED MATERIAL

History of Masonic Temple
As early as 1912--four years after the chartering of Lakewood Lodge--a building committee was appointed for the purpose of selecting a suitable site and formulating proper plans for the erection of a Masonic Temple in Lakewood. Shortly thereafter The Lakewood Masonic Temple Company was incorporated and the following chosen as the first Board of Directors:  Wor. Bro. Philip H. Keese, Wor. Bro. William Bayne, Wor. Bro. Richard B. Sanders, Bro. Nelson C. Cotabish, Bro. Carl W. Schaefer, Bro. John M. Moyer, Bro. Daniel Loew, Bro. Charles L. Wood and Bro. Louis Weigand.

It was in 1913 that the site at Andrews and Detroit Avenues--in the heart of Lakewood--was selected and approved. In the following year a week's strenuous campaign by a small but enthusiastic army of loyal ones assured the building of a temple.

Our late lamented Brother James W. Chrisford, a Past High Priest of Cunningham Chapter and Eminent Past Commander of Holy Grail Commandery, was awarded the contract as architect and builder. After months of preparation and discussion, detailed plans for the building were finally approved and on April 3, 1915, ground broken for Lakewood Masonry's future home. On June 26, of the same year, midst most impressive Masonic ceremonies, the cornerstone was laid by the then Grand Master, Most Worshipful Brother Edward S. Griffiths.

On September 30, 1916, the Lakewood Masonic Temple was duly dedicated and the first meeting held therein was a stated communication of Lakewood Lodge on October 2. At that time the Temple housed, (in addition to Lakewood Lodge), Gaston G. Allen Lodge No. 629, chartered on November 28, 1914; Cunningham Chapter No. 187, R.A.M., chartered October 10, 1910, and Lincoln Chapter No. 309, O.E.S., chartered in 1909.

Today it is also the home of Clifton Lodge No. 664, chartered in 1920; Lakewood Council No. 125, R. & S.M.; Holy Grail Commandery No. 70, K.T.; Ann Rutledge Chapter No. 453, O.E.S.; Lakewood Chapter No. 509, O.E.S., and an number of affiliated organizations.

Within its walls the work of the Great Architect has now been humbly, reverently, faithfully carried on for a quarter of a century. To those "good men and true" who made possible our beautiful building we again tender homage and out affectionate appreciation. For them and for the fruits of their labors we render thanks to the Giver of every good and perfect gift.

Masonry in Lakewood is housed in a splendid Masonic Temple, located on a lot 100 feet frontage on Detroit Avenue, the city's main thoroughfare, and extending 200 feet on Andrews Avenue. The site is one of the most prominent in Lakewood. The Temple is of Bedford limestone and is absolutely fireproof. When erected, the building represented a value of $150,000. While by no means as large as many similar structures, it is said to be as beautiful and complete as any. The Lakewood Masonic Temple Company, which erected the Temple was incorporated in 1912. The ground for the building was broken in April, 1915, and the cornerstone was laid in June of that year.

On September 30, 1916, the building was dedicated by the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Ohio. When the Temple was projected, Lakewood Lodge No. 601, was the only Masonic body in Lakewood. Now there are meeting in the Temple, in addition to Lakewood Lodge, two other Blue Lodges, a Royal Arch Chapter, a Commandery of Knights Templar, a Council of Royal and Select Masters and two Chapters of the Order of the Eastern Stars. The lodge room is in used every night of the week except Sunday. Lakewood Lodge No. 601 has over a thousand members. It was chartered in October, 1908 and consecrated on November 7, 1908.

The exterior is strictly Grecian. The main architectural feature is the front porch, the roof and pediment of which are supported by four large fluted Doric columns. Every line of the structure is classical in detail, and the building is pointed out as being one of the most impressive in the city.

A feature of the Temple is the splendid stair hall, extending from the main floor to the upper mezzanine. The winding staircase is of white marble, with massive rail and white marble wainscoting.

Below the lodge room floor is the first mezzanine, the principal feature of which if the Ladies' Parlor, ample in size and splendidly furnished. This room is dedicated to the use of the members of the Eastern Star for their social and charitable affairs. On this floor also is the office of the Board of Directors of the Temple Company.

The Lodge Room, which is also used by the Commandery, the Chapter, the Council, and the Eastern Star Chapter, is Egyptian, both in architecture and in decoration. The balcony, which is unique in that it recedes from the floor rather than projecting over it, has a seating capacity of several hundred, while about 100 find seats on the main floor without the use of extra chairs.

The Lodge Room has a large stage containing all the lighting devices and scenery necessary to confer with impressiveness, any of the degrees that are her given. The lodge contains a splendid pipe organ. It is located in the balcony in the west and is usually presided over by some prominent local organist of some ability and who is well known in the Masonic circles as an enthusiastic musician.

The armory used by Holy Grail Commandery No. 70 Knights Templar is on the top-most floor. It is equipped with individual steel lockers for the uniforms of members and is complete in every way. Access to the armory is from the upper mezzanine.

The main floor is featured by the beautiful French renaissance ballroom and auditorium, the largest in Lakewood. The fine dancing floor accommodates 125 couples without any crowding, and when used as an auditorium it has a seating capacity of 850. The north end of the room contains a stage with scenery.

The furniture is gilt. The decorations are in rose, with ivory pilasters touched with gold. The foyer that leads to the ballroom is paved with marble. It has fluted pilasters and is in harmony with the ballroom itself. This floor is also equipped with necessary retiring rooms for men and women and ample check rooms as well as refreshment rooms.

On the basement floor is the well lighted banquet room. It has a seating capacity of 500, and is in almost constant use. Connected with the banquet room are the necessary kitchen and serving room.

The kitchen is as well equipped as that of a modern hotel, with all the appurtenances that are needed for the cooking and serving of large banquets. The dishes bear the monogram of the Temple Company.

Mrs. Irons has charge of the kitchen and she serves all the dinners and banquets held there. Many outside organizations hold annual dinners here, where it is cool and quiet, where speaking and songs can be heard without outside interference.

The kitchen is well stocked with adequate dishes and other paraphernalia, huge ranges and ovens where dinners can be provided for any number of people upon short notice.
 
 

top








33:2
CLIFTON LODGE #664, F. & A. M.
E. GEORGE LINDSTROM'S UNPUBLISHED MATERIAL
MARK G. SNOW, P.M., Historian

Probably no Masonic Lodge in the State of Ohio and possible in the whole of the United States was ever organized under more favorable conditions than those which existed at the time Clifton Lodge was started.

The men of Lakewood, discharged from service in the World War or released from duties connected with its prosecution at home, began to flock to Masonry. In the winter of 1919-20 Lakewood Lodge #601 was so far behind in its degree work that it took nearly two years from the time an applicant's petition was received until he obtained his Third Degree and Gaston G. Allen, #629, was swamped with degree work in a similar manner.

The then District Lecturer, Right Worshipful Brother, James B. Ruhl, told the leaders of Masonry in Lakewood that in his judgment the organization of another lodge was imperative. The overworked Masters and officers of both lodges heartily agreed with him and so a notice was circulated among the brethren that a meeting would be held in the Lodge Room of the Lakewood Masonic Temple on Sunday afternoon, March 19th, 1920, for the purpose of discussing the matter.

On this date some 25 or 30 brethren gathered at the appointed time and William Bayne, a Past Master of Lakewood Lodge, was elected Chairman. Sufficient interest was displayed by those present to satisfy the sponsors of the meeting that enough unaffiliated Masons could be banded together in a new lodge to insure its success. It was decided to hold a second meeting on Sunday, April 11th, and to run an advertisement in the Cleveland and local newspapers in the meantime wherein unaffiliated Masons who might be interested were to be invited to come to this meeting.

As a result of the publicity given the project about 60 were present on April 11th when the District Lecturer opened the meeting. He spoke at length of the reasons why it seemed an opportune time to organize a third lodge in Lakewood and explained the necessary steps that would have to be taken to do so. Bro. William Bayne, a Past Master of Lakewood Lodge #601, was elected Permanent Chairman and Bro. F. Eugene Wabel, Secretary. The minutes of the meeting show that Bros. Lewis Rumage, H.J. Pleasance and H.J. Weidenthal, Past Masters of Lakewood Lodge; Bros. J.H. Sterling, Past Master of Gaston G. Allen Lodge #629; Bro. T.W. McMaugh, Worshipful Master of Allen Lodge #629 and Bro. Herman Thiessen, Senior Warden of Lakewood Lodge were all present and pledged their aid and support to the organization of another lodge. They also record the fact that Bros. Harvey R. Snyder of Irie Lodge #229 (Ohio), B.J. Drummond of Nebraska, S.R. Snow of Illinois, W.R. Stuart of New York, and Mark G. Snow of Massachusetts, expressed their intention of joining the proposed lodge and of being willing to help its formation in every way possible. All present promised to continue to spread the news among their Masonic friends who were not affiliated with local lodges and urge them to come to their next meeting which was set for April 25th.

At this third meeting definite steps were taken for the first time to effect the organization of the proposed lodge when over 50 stood up when the Chairman requested all those who were interested in the proposal to arise. This number was considered sufficient to make the project a success. Bro. William Bayne was elected as the first Wor. Master; Bro. W.A. Edwards of Allen #629 as Senior Warden and Bro. B.J. Drummond of Nebraska Lodge #1, as Junior Warden. It was then voted to fix the affiliation fee at $10.00. Next came the selection of a name and after several names had been suggested a written ballot showed a decided preference for "Clifton". Bro. Bayne then appointed a Committee on By-Laws and ordered them to report at the next meeting which he announced would be held May 16th.

On that date the Committee made its report, the report was accepted and the proposed By-Laws were formally adopted. It was also decided that the next meeting would be on June 6th. Further progress was made in the organization on this later date when Bro. Bayne appointed three Trustees, i.e., Bros. A.F. Allen, Sam. P. Fetzer and J.H. Townsend; an Entertainment Committee consisting of Bros. S.W. Reed and H.H. Williams; also a Historian, Bro. J.W. Moyer, a teacher in the Lakewood schools. So that every unaffiliated Mason in Lakewood who had expressed their intention of joining the proposed lodge might sign the Application for a Dispensation, it was decided to hold another meeting on June 20th.

This sixth meeting accomplished three things. First, it adopted an amendment to the By-Laws whereby stated meetings were to be held on the second and fourth Saturdays of each month rather than a single stated meeting on the second Saturday; second, the Secretary was instructed to draw a check for $100.00 as the fee to accompany the said Application to the Most Worshipful Grand Master, and third, enough signatures were obtained to bring the number of petitioners up to 100. It was announced that anyone interested would still have an opportunity to sign the petition by calling at the home of Bro. Wabel, prior to July 1st.

Several took advantage of this opportunity and when the petition was presented to the Most Worshipful Grand Master Matthew Smith, a total of 108 names was signed at the end thereof. Almost every signer was from a different lodge and some 15 or more states were represented.

The Fourth of July is an important date in the Minds of all true Masons because of the many prominent men who belonged to the fraternity who took part in the formation of this United States and signed the Declaration of Independence. It is also an important date in the minds of the members of Clifton Lodge as on July 4th, 1920 the then Grand Mater, under the seal and authority of his office, granted a Dispensation to Clifton Lodge.

On July 10th, 1920, the first stated meeting was held when 61 members and 50 visitors gathered in the Lodge Room and heard Right Wor. Bro. James B. Ruhl present the Dispensation to Wor. Bro. Bayne who then called upon Bro. Theodore F. Humphryes, who had been a member of the Committee which presented it to the Grand Master for signature, and asked him to read it to those assembled. Wor. Bro. Bayne then appointed the following brethren as officers: Treasurer, John W. Mackay; Secretary, F.E. Wabel; Senior Warden, Frank H. Snyder; Junior Warden, Harvey R. Snyder; Senior Steward, Theodore F. Humphreys; Junior Steward, Edward H. Williams; Marshall, Samuel O. Champion; Tyler Pro Tem, Henry J. Pleasance; Chaplain, Walter D. Kring.

The By-Laws were then taken up one by one and formally adopted after which the Secretary proceeded to read the petitions of 76 men who had petitioned Clifton Lodge, U.D., for degrees. Next Wor. Bro. T.W. McMaugh presented the new lodge with a Bible for its altar, for and in behalf of the brethren of Gaston G. Allen Lodge #629.

From then until the following October, the officers and members were extremely busy conferring degrees on candidates. Finally on October 9th, 1920, the degree work was inspected by the District Lecturer, James B. Ruhl, in the Master Mason Degree. The candidate was the 54th to receive all three degrees in the space of three months. At the conclusion of the work the officers were highly complimented by Bro. Ruhl. Nearly all the officer and workers had either demitted from other States or had not been active workers in their Ohio lodges so that they had to learn the entire ritual. During this period it was common practice to open lodge early in the morning and work continuously until midnight, two and sometimes three days a week. Petitions kept flowing in until 139 had been received and the membership was filled with enthusiasm and zeal for Masonry.

At the session of Grand Lodge a few weeks later, the action of the Grand Master was approved and the work to date being satisfactory, Clifton was given a Charter and assigned number 664. A total of 162 names appear on the Charter roll.

The next two years were busy ones under the leadership of Wor. Bro. Bayne and Wor. Bro. Edwards as 160 and 156 candidates respectively were raided to the Sublime Degree of Master Masons.

The Grand Master has long since been summoned to that Higher Lodge above, as have Bros. Bayne and Edwards, the first and second Masters, while Bro. Drummond, the first Junior Warden, was transferred back West during the first year, and later demitted. Consequently today none of the three principal officers who served so faithfully and effectively during the formation period and while the lodge was Under Dispensation, are with us except in spirit. However, the foundations they laid and the Masonic lessons which they sowed and natured into harvest have and will continue to exert a deep influence on the lives of the members until time shall be no more.

During the past 20 years Clifton Lodge collectively, and its members as individuals, have contributed their share as Masons and good citizens in this community. The name of the present Mayor of Lakewood, Bro. Amos Kaufman and also his predecessor, Wor. Bro. Ed. Wiegand (now deceased) appear on its membership roll. Wor. Bro. Theodore F. Humphreys, P.H., not only passed through the various chairs and served as Master but also served for five years as District Lecturer of the 22nd Masonic District and has been the only one to hold the office of Central Secretary of that District. Recently Wor. Bro. James Dunn, Jr., formerly Vice Chairman of the Tax Commission of the State of Ohio and an active worker in Lake Erie Consistory, was made a 33rd Degree Mason.

It has also furnished a large percent of those who have served Lakewood Council #125, R. & S.M., as Thrice Illustrious Masters as well as workers and officers for various other Masonic bodies. The petitions experienced in the early days has long since changed to a normal influx but its membership is still made up largely of younger men who take an active interest in Masonry while its officers are successfully maintaining the high standards of good fellowship, accurate ritualistic work and efficient government set up by its original founders.

PAST MASTERS


1920-21 *William Bayne
1922 *William A. Edwards
1923 *Harvey R. Snyder
1924 Theodore F. Humphreys
1925 Samuel O. Champion
1926 Hugh C. Livingstone
1927 *J. Edward Townsend
1928 Floyd P. Runyan
1929 James Dunn, Jr.
1930 Mark G. Snow
1931 George P. Kerr
1932  David B. Hull
1933 Paul W. Heller
1934 William T. McWade
1935 Carl B. Webster
1936 Harry E. Burr
1937 Raymond R. Emmick
1938 Roy N. Schlick
1939 Howard B. Webster
1940 Lester D. Telford
*Deceased
 
 

top








33:3
CUNNINGHAM CHAPTER, NO. 187
E. GEORGE LINDSTROM'S UNPUBLISHED MATERIAL

What is Capitular Masonry?

Capitular, or Royal Arch, Masonry--the first of the York Rite steps following the symbolic lodge--embraces four degrees conferred by the Chapter.

As membership in a symbolic lodge is required in order to petition for the Royal Arch, so is a Chapter affiliation necessary before petitioning a Council of Commandery. Capitular Masonry includes the Mark Master, Past Master, Most Excellent Master and Royal Arch Mason degrees.

As in the first three Masonic steps, symbolism plays an all-important part in the beauties of the Chapter ritual. Continuing his labors in the erection of that "temple not made with hands," the candidate progresses, through a series of surprising but impressive experiences, to the title of Mark Master. In turn he likewise becomes familiar with the mysteries of the Past Master and Most Excellent Master degrees--both designed to lend further important aid in the building, completion and dedication of a mystic Masonic edifice.

Of interest, in this connection, may be the fact that all Masters-elect of symbolic lodges are required to have received prior to installation, the Past Master's degree, this either in a regularly constituted Chapter of Royal Arch Masons or from a special representative of the Grand Lodge.

The most sublime degree of Royal Arch, departing from the scenes of former gradations, brings a final dramatic climax to the Capitular Rite. Again, through beautiful and profound symbolism the candidate is taught a "great and glorious work." It is in this important degree that the faithful craftsman actually receives that for which he has so long wrought--completing the "story but half-told."
 
 

top








33:4
CUNNINGHAM CHAPTER, NO. 187
E. GEORGE LINDSTROM'S UNPUBLISHED MATERIAL

During the administration of M. Ex. Companion William T.S. O'Hara as Grand High Priest of the Grand Chapter, Royal Arch Masons of the State of Ohio, the Grand Chapter held its Annual Convocation in the City of Toledo, October 10, 1910, at which Grand Convocation, the M.E. Grand High Priest in his annual address reported that on March 23, 1910 he had issued a dispensation to Companion A.O. Bagnall and 43 other petitioning Companions, authorizing them to open and conduct a Chapter of Royal Arch Masons-- U.D. in the Village of Lakewood, Cuyahoga County, Ohio, and confer the Capitular Degrees as prescribed For this Grand Jurisdiction; said Chapter to be named Cunningham Chapter in honor of P.M. Ex. Grand High Priest Companion O.B. Hannan to assist the Companions in organizing and later issued his proxy to M.E. Companion Gibson H. Robinson to visit and inspect said Chapter, and from reports received from him, he had full confidence that a Charter would be granted Cunningham Chapter. This was referred to the Committee on Topical Reference, who in their report referred this item to the Committee on Charters and Dispensations, who in turn reported that after certain corrections in the By-Laws were made that a Charter be granted.

P.G.H.G. Wm. Cunningham of the Grand Chapter Royal Arch Masons of Ohio, after whom Cunningham Chapter No., 187, was named, was born in Newark, Ohio, March 9, 1829 and died August 16, 1909, aged 80 years. He was the son of Mr. and Mrs. John Cunningham. His early education was received in the preparatory schools at Newark. In later years he attended Harvard College. He was united in marriage to Miss Mary Reese, to the union there was born a son Sanford Cunningham, who died in 1880. Mrs. Cunningham survived her son, but died in 1898. In May, 1906, he was remarried to Miss Mary Williams of Newark, Ohio who survived him.

M.E. Companion Cunningham was of the Swedenborgian faith but was consistent in his religious belief.

For four years he was a resident of Columbus, Ohio, being connected with the office of the Secretary of State, and later engaged in the business of insurance.

He was a man, widely esteemed by all who knew him, a true and tried friend, a companion steadfast in his fractional association, kind and courteous.

He was a compiler and author of many Masonic Text Books, and gave the craft the benefit of his knowledge and experience.

He was considered one of the best of the world's Masonic writers, a recognized authority wherever Masonry existed. A student of Masonic literature, without a rival perhaps on Masonic History and Ritualism.

He was for many years Foreign Correspondent of the Grand Lodge and Grand Chapter. His writings were quoted on an authority making Ohio Masonry known throughout the world, always considerate and fair of the views and opinions of others.

In his address before the M.W. Grand Lodge at its Annual Communication held in the City of Cleveland, October 20, 1909, A.D. 5909 M.W. Grand Master Charles S. Hoskinson said "Chief and foremost among those of our departed Brethren was P.G.M. Worshipful Brother William M. Cunningham, 33° who died August 16, 1909 after a brief illness. M.W. Companion Edward S. Archer, G.H.P. of the Grand Chapter R.A. Masons of Ohio said in his address at the 93rd Annual Convocation of the Grand Chapter held in East Liverpool, October 6, 1909 that M.E. Companion P.G.N.P. William M. Cunningham was a man widely known and esteemed by all who knew him, a true and tried friend and Companion steadfast in all friendships and Fraternal ties.

At the time of his death William M. Cunningham was the oldest Past Grand Master of the Grand Lodge. He served as M.E. High Grand Priest in 1901.

His funeral was conducted under the auspices of the Grand Lodge, F. & A.M. Masons of Ohio on the afternoon of August 19, 1090, on the lawn adjoining his residence in the City of Newark. There was a large gathering of brethren and friends. The full service of the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge was delivered. His remains were laid to rest in the beautiful cemetery in Newark, the city where he had resided for many years and with which he was so closely identified.

That he was true to every trust, is so recorded in the archives of Masonry of Ohio, and in the kindliness of his many devoted friends and brothers.

M.E. Comp. Robinson acted as inspecting officer. It was revealed that he was the first inspecting officer of Cunningham Chapter in 1910. He delivered an interesting address concerning the life of that illustrious Mason, William Moore Cunningham, of whom this Chapter was named.

OFFICERS 1910
(First Communication April 5, 1910)

A.C. Bagnal . . . . . . .  High Priest
G.A. Andrews . . . . . . . King
J.C. Cannon . . . . . . . Scribe
F.F. Mushrush . . . . . . Secretary
W.H. Fowler . . . . . . . Treasurer
D.W. Peterson . . . . . .  Captain of the Host
R.B. Sadders . . . . . . . Principal Sojourner
A.W. Anderson . . . . . .  Royal Arch Captain
H.A. Lattimer . . . . . .  Master Third Veil
Geo. W. Greber . . . . . . Master Second Veil
Jm. P. North . . . . . . . Master First Veil
J.E. Tegardine . . . . . . Guard

A.C. Bagnall--High Priest 1910-11--The history of Cunningham Chapter No. 187, dates from August 23, 1909, when a few enthusiastic Companions residing in Lakewood working in other jurisdictions, assembled to discuss the advisability of organizing a Chapter of Capitular Masonry in this city. At this preliminary meeting Companion Philip H. Keese, acted as temporary chairman and R.B. Sanders, secretary.

On Tuesday, August 31, a circular was sent to a number of Chapter Masons and twenty-one companions responded to the call of the organization committee. A motion was drawn asking Thatcher Chapter No. 101, R.A.M., to recommend a dispensation from the Grand High Priest of the Grand Chapter of Ohio to the proposed organization in Lakewood.

It was necessary to get consent from Cleveland Chapter No. 148 and Thatcher Chapter No. 101, the nearest to this jurisdiction. Thatcher Chapter withheld consent for some time but finally acquiesced.

During the organization meetings the selection of a suitable name was widely discussed and several names were suggested, but happily Companion O.B. Hannan, 33°, Past Grand High Priest of Ohio, and a charter member of Lakewood Lodge No. 601, was present, bearing proxy of the Grand High Priest. He was introduced and accorded the grand honors. He was deputized to inspect the rooms in which the new chapter was to hold a convocation, and being satisfied with the surroundings he recommended to the Grand High Priest that a dispensation be granted. Companion Hannan, realizing that a name could not be given to a chapter a living man, he suggested the name of William Moore Cunningham 33°, Past Grand High Priest of Ohio, as a suitable name, so the chapter bears the name of "Cunningham" in memory of that great and illustrious Mason.

In speaking of Companion Hannan, we only mention him from the fact that he suggested the name "Cunningham" that it become a matter of history.

At this meeting the following officers were selected for Cunningham Chapter No. 187, U.D., R.A.M. for the year 1910: (See above)

The fist stated convocation was held April 5, 1910--2440 A.L. Aside from the officers present were J.A. Cannon, J.A? Mastick, H. McKinley, JQO. Gordon, J.A. Brumagin, D.R. Robertson, G.W. Moses, Ernest Troutman, J.M.H. Frederick, L.W. Thomas, R.B. Sanders and twelve visitors.

It was decided to make a charter fee of $5.00; initiation fee, $30.00 and annual dues $3.00. First and third Thursday evenings as meeting nights and to use the Masonic Lodge hall on Warren Road at Detroit Avenue.

The first petitioner for degrees was Burton E. Carpenter, also the first petitioner to Lakewood Lodge No. 601. There were seventeen other petitioners read at this first convocation.

Most Excellent Companion Gibson H. Robinson was the first inspecting officer.

Charter members: G.A. Andrews, Louis Backus, William Bayne, H.S. Brady, Clyde A. Brown, J.A. Brumagin, J.A. Cannon, B.E. Carpenter, S.O. Champion, J.S. Chrisford, N.C. Cotabish, J.M.H. Frederick, Ernest Haines, Alfred M. Hall, Henry Henrichsen, Earl. L. Hess, Frank B. Miller, James J. Hinslea, Harry H. Hoard, Arthur E. Kellogg, J.L. Klamm, H.E. Lattin, Daniel Lowe, Albert E. McClure, George McKinley, H.W. McKinley, R.J. McKinley, J.S. Maitalnd, C.A. Moore, E.J. Morris, W.H. Morrow, G.M. Moses, A.V. Myers, Frank F. Mushrush, W.P. North, R.D. Parson, D.W. Peterson, H.N. Pleasance, R.C. Pagel, W.F. Rapprich, J.R. Reilley, D.R. Robertson, W.N. Ruby, J.H. Ruck, R.B. Sanders, E.A. Smith, S.B. Smith, J.E. Tegardine, J.E. Townsend, Ernest Trautman, Clayton W. Tyler, William S. Valmore, Bert L. Wilkins.

Past High Priests of Cunningham Chapter, #187
Lakewood, Ohio
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Ex. Comp. A.C. Bagnall . . . . . . . . 1910-11
D.W. Peterson . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1912
Harry H. Hoard . . . . . . . . . . . . 1913
A.W. Anderson . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1914
R.C. Pagel . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1915
Wm. P. North . . . . . . . . . . . . .  1916
J.E. Townsend . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1917
H.N. Pleasance . . . . . . . . . . . .  1918
H.S. Brady . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  1919
C.C. Braun . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1920
J.W. Chrisford . . . . . . . . . . . . 1921
Chas. H. Eilert . . . . . . . . . . . . 1922
E.A. Smith . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1923
B.H. Craig . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1924
Louis Kaufman . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1925
J.H. Fusee . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1926
Wm. F. Yingling . . . . . . . . . . . . 1927
S.W. Reed . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1928
L.S. Cartwright . . . . . . . . . . . . 1929
C.A. Elicker . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1930
F.V. Anderson . . . . . . . . . . . . 1931
H.W. Lloyd . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1932
Alfred Becher . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1933
F.M.Gibson . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1934
E.G.Lindstrom . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1935
Frank Stone . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1936
Geo. Teepher . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1937
Fred W. Dorn . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1938
A.L. Kloots . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1939
*S.T. Rinker . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1940
F.P. Runyan . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1940
*Election changed from November to June
 
 

top







33:5
GASTON G. ALLEN, NO. 629, F. & A.M.
E. GEORGE LINDSTROM'S UNPUBLISHED MATERIAL

PAST MASTERS


J.M. Sterling 1914-1915
1916
L.M. Bailey 1917
J.C. Hanna 1918
Edward W. Justin 1919
T.W. McMaugh 1920
Ralph G. King 1921
Howard L. Bigelow 1922
William A. Bennett 1923
Raymond L. Pagel 1924
Joseph M. Daugherty 1925
Jacob Willard 1926
Geo. L. Bell 1927
George M. Garrett 1928
A.J. Budden 1929
G.M. Wagner 1930
F.V. Grayson 1931
E.A. Sandals 1932
A.E. Shaw 1933
Stephen H. Hazelwood 1934
M.K. Haskins 1935
Walter S. Pickin 1936
H.M. Barger 1937
H.W. Green 1938
C.O. Friedly 1939
P. Vander Wyden 1940

 
 

top








33:6
HISTORY OF JOB'S DAUGHTERS BETHEL NO. 13
E. GEORGE LINDSTROM'S UNPUBLISHED MATERIAL

The Order of Job's Daughters, an organization for girls between the ages of 13 and 20 years, who have Masonic relationships, was founded in 1920 in Omaha, Neb.

The ritual was written by Mrs. Ethel Wead Wick, now a resident of Cleveland, Ohio, with the cooperation of the Grand Master of the Grand Lodge, F. & A.M. of Nebraska, Rh. Wor. Bro. J.B. Tradenburg.

The purpose of the Order, is to band together girls of Masonic relationship for the spiritual and moral upbuilding, to seek knowledge, to teach the love of God, love of county and flag, love of home, respect for their elders and reverence for the teachings of the Holy Bible and the principles for which Freemasonry stands and preparing them for social, fraternal, civic and domestic activities.

Its teachings are based upon the book of Job, in the Bible, and appeals to the finer instincts because of its spirituality--and that "to be fair is to do good," and in all the land were no women so fair as the Daughters of Job.

Their motto is: :Virtue is a quality which highly adorns a woman."

It is the only Order for girls, which bases its membership upon Masonic relationship. It is of International scope,--Christian and Democratic.

Each Bethel or Order of Job's Daughters has a Council of five adults, one of whom must be a Master Mason. The logical head of the Bethel is known as the Guardian.

This beautiful and worthwhile Order was introduced into Cleveland by Mr. Karl Rauschkolb, Past Master of Laurel Lodge, F. & A.M. and their Patron of Laurel Chapter, O.M.S.

On May 11, 1928, the first Cleveland Bethel was instituted with a class of forty-seven Pilgrims at the Hotel Winton. Mrs. Fanna Kirk, Grand Guardian of Ohio, instituted the Bethel to be known as Bethel No. 11, and the degrees of the Order were conferred upon the Pilgrims by the officers of Bethel No. 5 of Columbus, Ohio.

Miss Mildren Rauschkolb was the first Honored Queen. At least 2,000 Masons and Eastern Stars witnesses the beautiful ceremony of the instituting of the Bethel and the initiatory work.  On May 11th, 1929, Lakewood Bethel No. 13 was instituted by Mrs. Emily Grob, Grand Guardian, and Bethel No. 11, initiated the Pilgrims of No. 13. In March 1930, a third Bethel was instituted in Cleveland at the Masonic Temple, 3515 Euclid avenue, known as Bethel No. 17 and here the officers of Bethel No. 13 took the Pilgrims through their journey become Daughters of Job.

Job's Daughters as an organization has grown steadily, today numbering 250 Bethels in the United States and Ohio claims 17.

Each state has its Grand Council and the Grand Council of the various states constitute the Supreme Council.
 
 

top








33:7
KNIGHTS OF COLUMBUS, LAKEWOOD COUNCIL NO. 2643
E. GEORGE LINDSTROM'S UNPUBLISHED MATERIAL

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Lakewood Council No. 2643, Knights of Columbus was instituted on May 8, 1927 under the direction of Mr. R.A. Jones.

PAST GRAND KNIGHTS


Raymond A. Jones May 8, 1927 Sept. 30, 1938
Wm. F. McVicker Oct. 1, 1928 June 30, 1930
Jos. P. Cantlon July 1, 1930 June 30, 1931
John W. Barrett July 1, 1931 June 30, 1932
Jos. A. Ritter July 1, 1932 June 30, 1934
Michael H. Nealon July 1, 1934 June 30, 1936
Wm. G. Phillipp July 1, 1936 June 30, 1938
Edwin T. McCormick July 1, 1938 June 30, 1940
Jay P. Hits July 1, 1940

 

top








33:8
THE ORDER OF THE KNIGHTS OF PYTHIAS
GEORGE LINDSTROM'S UNPUBLISHED MATERIAL

Recognizing the universality of human brotherhood, this organization is designed to embrace the world within its jurisdiction, intended solely and only to disseminate the great principles of FRIENDSHIP, CHARITY AND BENEVOLENCE, nothing of a sectarian or political character is permitted within its portals. TOLERATION TO RELIGION, OBEDIENCE TO LAW AND LOYALTY TO GOVERNMENT are its cardinal principles. Misfortune, misery and death being written in fearful characters upon the broad face of creation, our noble order was instituted to uplift the fallen, to champion humanity; to be his guide and hope; his refuge, shelter and defense; to soften down the asperities of life; to subdue party spirits; and by the sweet and powerful attraction of the glorious trinity of FRIENDSHIP, CHARITY AND BENEVOLENCES, to bind in one HARMONIOUS BROTHERHOOD mend of all classes and all opinions.

The brightest jewels which it possesses are the tears of the widows and orphans; and its imperative commands are to visit the homes where lacerated hearts are bleeding, to assuage the sufferings of a brother, bury the dead, care for the widow and educate the orphan; to exercise charity toward offenders; to construe words and deeds in their least unfavorable light, granting honesty of purpose and good intentions to others, and to PROTECT THE PRINCIPLES OF KNIGHTHOOD unto death.

Its laws are reason and equity; its cardinal doctrines inspire purity of thought and life; its intention is "PEACE ON EARTH, GOOD WILL TOWARD MEN."

The Order of Knights of Pythias is an organization which appeals to the nobler instincts of man's nature; it develops latent virtues, revives dormant energies, establishes higher ideals, places the goal of personal ambition upon a loftier plane, inculcates in its devotees a love for the good, a reverence for the poor, a hatred for the bad. It is an Order in which advancement and recognition of sterling worth are not dependent upon position in society, or place in the arena of Mammon, but it is an Order in whose lodges the artisan, the professional man, the merchant, the laboring man, the scholar, meet on common ground and on terms of absolute equality, and the arbitrary mandates of society are laid aside. It is an Order, the teachings of which, faithfully interpreted and honestly followed, will eliminate the dross of a member's nature in the crucible of his own consciousness, and make him a better husband, a better father, a better brother, a better son. It is an Order which, after the warm pulse-beats of its loyal members have been stilled by the grasp of death, after the family circle has been invaded by the grim destroyer, against whose unwelcome visitation no domicile is proof, provides for the loved ones at home an indemnity which shall insure for them the comforts of a home, and thus soften the terrors of dissolution; although beyond what can be done by kindly sympathy, it cannot mitigate its sorrows.

The Order of Knights of Pythias has a mission to perform, and its labors will go on, and one, and on. So, while we have our faculties, let us all do what we can to help the work; let us invade the realms of superstition and prejudice, and under our tri-colored banner, symbolic of Friendship, Charity and Benevolence, let us hew falsehood with the sword of truth; and let us not forget that in the accomplishment of this work inevitable dissentions will arise and fleck the bright sky of Pythian intercourse with transitory clouds of discontent and misunderstanding.

ORIGIN, OBJECTIVES AND AIMS of the KNIGHTS OF PYTHIAS

Adopted by the Supreme Lodge, Aug. 12, 1877.

"Recognizing the universality of human brotherhood, its organization is designed to embrace the world within its jurisdiction--intended solely and only to disseminate the great principles of Friendship, Charity and Benevolence--nothing of a sectarian or political character is permitted within its portals. Toleration in religion, obedience to law and loyalty to government are its cardinal principles. Misfortune, misery and death being written in such fearful characters on the broad face of creation, our noble order was instituted to uplift the fallen; to champion humanity; to be his guide and hope; his refuge, shelter and defense; to soften down the asperities of life; to subdue party spirit; and by the sweet and powerful attractions of the glorious trinity of Friendship, Charity, and Benevolence to bind in one harmonious brotherhood men of all classes and opinions.

"The brightest jewels which it garners are the tears of widows and orphans, and its imperative commands are to visit the homes where lacerated hearts and bleeding; to assuage the sufferings of a brother; bury the dead; care for the widow and educate the orphan; to exercise charity toward offenders; to construe words and deeds in their least unfavorable light; granting honesty of purpose and good intentions to others; and to protect the principles knighthood unto death. Its laws are reason and thought and life; its intention is 'peace on earth, good will toward men.'"

"DAMON AND PYTHIAS"

A zephyr, sweet presage of the coming night, soft as a whispered prayer, touches the flowing garments of a white robed priest, who incense laden, bids the parting day farewell.

Out on the silent sea, their sails traced in laced drapery against the warm background of the still blushing sky, lazily float the ships. The melody of commerce lulled to silence by the noiseless sweep of twilight's shadowed drapery has ceased its murmurings and in the marble streets of the city below the returning multitude of workers restfully loiter homeward.

From the palace crowned heights of Arcadenia glistening in the last fond rays of the setting sun, the graceful maidens, whose symmetry of form betokened the luxurious languor of a proud and prosperous queen, the city of their birth, and with a last lingering glance at the temple of Zeus Olympus, they breathe a prayer, and it is night in Syracuse.

THE PYTHIAN ASSOCIATION AND ITS FUNCTIONS

In days gone by, it was common to hear a good many of our Pythians say, what is the Pythian Association? What do they do, what are their assumed duties, and many other questions. An answer to these questions today is not needed. Every Pythian knows the duties and functions of the Pythian Association.

These lines are not written for the benefit of the Pythians, but to give a clear understanding to the number of non-Pythians in this vast domain.

The Pythian Association is a self-supporting body of men whose mission is to promote the Brotherhood of Man, to bring a closer bond of friendship between the subordinate lodges, to relieve wherever possible the financial burden of the lodge. This celebration is an instance of the worth of the Association. Realizing the burden that would fall on the shoulders of the lodge, in order to entertain the many thousands of Pythians and Pythian Sisters, when they will be in our midst for the Grand Lodge Convention by this Association to raise sufficient funds to do the entertaining and reduce the possibility of a per capita tax upon the lodges of this County.

LAKEWOOD LODGE No. 729, K.P.

Lakewood Lodge No. 729 was installed July 18, 1902, at Pearl Lodge No. 163 corner of Clark avenue and W. 25th St.

About 28 charter members, the most of whom demitted from other lodges, were present at the installation. Among those present who joined Lakewood Lodge were Edward Shupe, Joseph J. Rowe, Dudley True, Harry Rocky and Frank F. Mushrush.

The honor of being the first Chancellor fell to Otto Muelhauser; Vice Chancellor Frank Mushrush, Keeper of Records and Seals, Harry Rocky.

The members of Pearl Lodge who assisted in the installation of Lakewood Lodge have been forgotten.

The idea of organizing a K. of P. Lodge in Lakewood originated in the mind of Edward Shupe and Otto Muelhauser. It was early in 1900 and after a number of meetings held at Muelhauser's home, a sufficient number of applications and the necessary funds were secured to go a head.

The question of who should be the first Chancellor was won by the flop of a coin. As Edward Shupe was in poor health when Lakewood Lodge was organized he was obliged to leave Cleveland shortly after and passed on about two years later.

Much credit should be given to Frank Musrush, Frank Elliott, Jim Beebe, W.S. Moore, Tom Curry and the Mills boys for carrying on at a time when things looked very uncertain.

In the early years, Lakewood Lodge was assisted in degree work by Pearl Lodge, Red Cross and Lake Shore and later on by many of the other lodges in the county. The lodge is now in a healthy state and maintains elegant rooms at the corner of Detroit and Belle avenues, and meets regularly every Wednesday night.

Lakewood Lodge has a reputation for its free discussions, warm reception, tenacity of friendship, and loyalty to principle. There are no cold receptions within the lodge and honor is extended to every visitor. The lodge invites and encourages visitation from other lodges and its doors are always open.
 
 

PAST CHANCELLORS LAKEWOOD LODGE NO. 729



 
 
 
 
 

Otto Muelhauser .  . . . .. July 1902 - Jan. 1903
Frank F. Musrush . . . . . Jan. 1903- -Jan. 1904
Frank R. Elliott . . . . .  Jan. 1904 - July 1904
J.A. Beebe . . . . . . . .  July 1904 - Jan. 1905
G.W. Hotchkiss . . . . . .  Jan. 1905 - July 1905
W.J. O'Brien . . . . . . .  July 1905 - Jan 1906
Wm. S. Moore . . . . . . .  Jan. 1906 - July 1906
J.W. Mott . . . . . . . .  July 1906 - Jan. 1907
Edward J. Hobday . . . . .  Jan. 1907 - July 1907
Henry Weigard . . . . . . July 1907 - Jan. 1908
Thomas J. Curry . . . . . . Jan 1908 - July 1908
W. L. Johns . . . . . . . . July 1908 - Jan. 1909
Dr. R.E. Belden . . . . . . Jan. 1909 - July 1909
R. A. Mills . . . . . . . . July 1909 - July 1910
C.L. Mills . . . . . . . .  July. 1910- Jan. 1911
George Vaughn . . . . . .  Jan. 1911 - July 1911
M.E. Myers . . . . . . . .. July 1911 - Jan. 1912
Chester F. Bailey . . . . . Jan. 1912 - Jan. 1913
John Jukes . . . . . . . .  Jan. 1913 - Jan. 1914
Carl W. Ricksecker . . . .  Jan. 1914 - July 1914
Charles Watkins . . . . . . July 1914 - Jan. 1915
John W. Timmerman . . . . . Jan. 1915 - July 1915
William F. Closse . . . . . July 1915 - Jan. 1916
J.E. Heacock . . . . . . .  Jan. 1916 - July 1916
T.B. Bolton . . . . . . . . July 1916 - Jan. 1917
J.R. Gillespie . . . . . .  Jan. 1917 - July 1917
George Cavell . . . . . . . July 1917 - Jan. 1918
W.D. Cole . . . . . . . . . Jan. 1918 - July 1918
S.G. Hodgson . . . . . . .  July 1918 - Jan. 1919
E.F. Wolf . . . . . . . . . Jan. 1919 - July 1919
William A. Scott . . . . . July 1919- Jan. 1920
E.L. McIntyre . . . . . . . Jan. 1920 - July 1920
William A. Mackey . . . . . July 1920 - Jan. 1921
Joseph Koptish . . . . . . Jan. 1921 - July 1921
Charles Fisher . . . . . .  July 1921 - July 1922
M.W. Wilson . . . . . . . . July 1922 - Jan. 1923
A.A. Rutzen . . . . . . . . Jan. 1923 - July 1923
C.L. Houck . . . . . . . .  July 1923 - Jan. 1924
T.P. Titus . . . . . . . .  Jan. 1924 - July 1924
Wm. G. Boyer . . . . . . .  July 1924 - Jan. 1925
A.J. Cory . . . . . . . . . Jan. 1925 - July 1925
Wm. G. Hoffman . . . . . .  July 1925 - Jan. 1926
I.W. Doan . . . . . . . . . Jan. 1926 - July 1926
G.A. Etzinger . . . . . . . July 1926 - Jan. 1927
H. Gronko . . . . . . . . . Jan. 1927 - July 1927
H.S. Rudge . . . . . . . .  July 1927 - Jan. 1928
C.A. Knable . . . . . . . . Jan. 1928 - July 1928
O.H. Lamvermeyer . . . . .  July 1928 - Jan. 1929
J.J. Epstein . . . . . . .  Jan. 1929 - July 1929
C. Gerlach . . . . . . . . July 1929 - Jan. 1930
Henry J. Strippel . . . . . Jan. 1930 - July 1930

 

top








33:9
HOLY GRAIL COMMANDERY NO. 70
GEORGE LINDSTROM'S UNPUBLISHED MATERIAL

What is Chivalric Masonry?

Chivalric Masonry derives its name from the glorious age of chivalry and its component organizations are commonly known as Commanderies of Knights Templar.

This, the highest body of the York Rite, embraces three orders (there are no degrees in Chivalric Masonry), namely, the Order of Red Cross, Order of Malta and the Order of the Temple.

Membership in a symbolic lodge and Royal Arch chapter are requisites to becoming a Knight Templar.

Through the Order of Red Cross, which contains some of the most profound and beautiful symbolism of all Masonry, the candidate is for the first time led from the ancient tribal teachings of the Old Testament to the beauteous truths of Christianity as revealed in the New.

Knights Templar derive their name from those valiant ones who in the early centuries gave their all that the enemies of Christ might not prevail. Again the symbolism of Masonry is seen in the striking uniform and flashing sword of the Knight Templar of today.

The battle-flag of the ancient Templars was black and white. The modern Knight's sword is "endowed with three most estimable qualities--its hilt with justice impartial, its blade with fortitude undaunted, and its point with mercy unrestrained."

Second only to Christianity, a Sir Knight reveres the American flag.

The cross and crown of the Commandery are know throughout the world as the insignia of Christian knighthood and he who today follows His banner as a Knight Templar may well feel proud of his glorious heritage.

PAST COMMANDERS



 
 
 
 
 

J.J. Hinsley 1920
J.M.H. Frederick 1921
J.J. Metzger 1922
Carl W. Schaefer 1923
J.W. Chrisford 1924
C.T. Cook 1925
Ralph Frerichs 1926
David E. Herbert 1927
Joseph Mettersheed 1928
Charles C. Braun 1929
George Garrett 1930
Ferdinand A. Krauss 1931
Harry Kutz 1932
Walter Harsant 1933
Harry D. Brady 1934
Geo. A. Garrett 1935
E.F. Armesy 1936
Don V. Peden 1937
Eldred R. Holliday 1938
Homer P. Bomgardner 1939
Alpheus A. Stephens 1940

KNIGHTS TEMPLAR

As the order of the Templars, therefore, was originally formed in Syria and existed there for a considerable time, it would be no improbable supposition that they received their Masonic knowledge from the lodges in that quarter. But we fortunately, in this case, not left to conjecture, for we are expressly informed by the foreign author (Ader. de Drusis) who was well acquainted with the history and customs of Syria, that the Knights of Templar were actually members of the Syriac fraternities.

Even if this hypothesis were true, although it might probably suggest the origin of the secret reception of the Templars, it would not explain the connection of the modern Templars with the Freemasons because there is no evidence that these Syriac fraternities were Masonic.

There are four sources from which the Masonic Templars are said to have derived their existence making, therefore as many different divisions of the Order.
    1. The Templars who claim John Mark Larmenius as the successor of James de Molay.
    2. Those who recognize Peter d'Aumont as the successor of de Molay.
    3. Those who derive their their Templarism from the Count Beaujeu, the nephew of Molay.
    4. Those who claim an independent origin and repudiate alike the authority of Larmenius, Aumont and Beaujeu.

From the first class spring the Templars of France who professed to have continued the order by authority of a charter given by Molay to Larmenius. This body of Templars designate themselves the Order of the Temple. Its sent is in Paris. The Duke of Sussex received from it the degree and the authority to establish a Grand Conclave in England. He did so and convened that body once, but only once. During the remaining years of his life Templarism had no activity in England as he discountenanced all Christian and Chivalric Masonry.

The second division of Templars is that which is founded on the theory that Peter d'Aumont fled with several knights into Scotland and there united with the Freemasons. This legend is intimately connected with Ramsay's tradition that Freemasonry sprang from Templarism and that all Freemasons are Knights Templar.

The chapter of Clermont adopted this theory and, in establishing their high degrees, asserted that they were derived from these Templars of Scotland.

The Baron Hund carried the theory into Germany and on it established his Rite of Strict Observance which was a Templar system. Hence the Templars of Germany must be classed under the head of the followers of Aumont.

The third division is that which asserts that the Count Beaujeu, a nephew of the last Grand Master De Molay and a member of the order of the Knights of Christ--the name assumed by the Templars of Portugal, had received authority from that order to disseminate the degree and its ritual into Sweden where he incorporated it with Freemasonry.

The story is, too, that Beaujeu collected his uncle's ashes and interred them in Stockholm where a monument was erected to his memory. Hence the Swedish Rite is through this source a Templar system.

Of the last class or the Templars who recognize the authority of neither of the leaders who have been mentioned there were two divisions, the Scotch and the English, for it is only in Scotland and England that this independent Templarism found a foothold. It was only in Scotland that the Templars endured no persecution.

Long after the dissolution of the order in every other country of Europe, the Scottish preceptories continued to exist and the knights lived undisturbed. One portion of the Scottish Templars entered the army of Robert Bruce and, after the battle of Bannockburn, were merged in the Royal Order of Scotland then established by him.

Another portion of the Scottish Templars united with the Knights Hospitalers of St. John. They lived amicably in the same houses and continued to do so until the Reformation. At this time many of them embraced Protestantism. Some of them united with the Freemasons and established "the Ancient Lodge" at Stirling, where they conferred the degrees of Knight of the Sepulcher, Knight of Malta and Knight Templar. It is to this division that we trace the Masonic Templars of Scotland.

The Roman Catholic Knights remaining in the Order placed themselves under David Seaton. Lord Dundee afterward became their Grand Master, Charles Edward, the "Young Pretender" is said to have been admitted unto the order at Holyrood House, Edinburgh, on September 24, 1745, and made the Grand Master. He is also said, but without any proof, to have established the Chapter of Arras and the high Degrees (see Hughan's Jacobite Lodge at Rome).

To this branch, I think, there can be but little doubt that we are to attribute the Templar system of the Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite as developed in its degree of Kadosh.

The English Masonic Templars are most probably derived from the body called the "Baldywn Encampment" or from some one of the four co-ordinated Encampments of London, Bath, York and Salisbury which, it is claimed, were formed by the members of the Preceptory which had long existed at Bristol and who, on the dissolution of their Order, are supposed to have united with the Masonic fraternity. The Baldwyn Encampment claims to have existed from "time immemorial", an indefinite period, but we can trace it back far enough to give it a priority over all other English Encampments. From this division of the Templars, repudiating all connections with Larmenius, with Aumont or any other of the self-constituted leaders, but tracing its origin to the independent action of knights who fled for security and for perpetuity into the body of Masonry, we may be justly entitled to derive the Templars of the United States.

PAST COMMANDERS



 
 
 
 
 

J.J. Hinsley 1920
J.M.H. Frederick 1921
J.J. Metzger 1922
Carl W. Schaefer 1923
J.W. Chrisford 1924
C.T. Cook 1925
Ralph Frerichs 1926
David E. Herbert 1927
Joseph Mottershead 1928
Charles C. Braun 1929
George M. Garrett 1930
Ferdinand A. Krauss 1931
Harry Lutz 1932
Walter Harsant 1933
Harry D. Bracy 1934
Geo. A. Garrett 1935
E.F. Armesy 1936
Don V. Peden 1937
Eldred R. Holliday 1938
Homer P. Bomgardner 1939
Alpheus A. Stephens 1940

 

top








33:10
LINCOLN CHAPTER NO. 309, O.E.S.
E. GEORGE LINDSTROM'S UNPUBLISHED MATERIAL

Lincoln Chapter, No. 309, O.E.S., was organized on the eve of the One Hundredth Anniversary of the birth of our martyred President, Abraham Lincoln, and in his honor the name of Lincoln was chosen for the chapter. The chapter was instituted April `14, 1909, by Robert T. Izant, Grand Patron, assisted by the officers of Morning Light Chapter, No. 80, of Warren, O.
 
 

CHARTER MEMBERS



 
 
 
 
 

Mr. James A. Cannon Mrs. Birdie F. Brown 
Mrs. Flora E. Hall Mr. Melvin C. Peterson
Dr. Charles L. Wood Mrs. Emma F. Peterson
Mrs. Flora L. Wood Mr. Joseph Lampoh
Mrs. Lillie M. Cannon Mrs. Effie Lampoh
Mr. A.M. Hall Mrs. Grace Osterhout
Mrs. Anna G. Carpenter Mrs. Caroline I Hinslea
Mr. B.E. Carpenter Mrs. Nellie S. Goss
Mrs. Jennie C. Gordon Manifold Mrs. Lucy A. Wilkins
Mrs. Alice A. Cannon Mrs. Kate Rumage
Mr. James C. Cannon Mrs. Nelda Taft
Mrs. Sophia Z. Thomas Mrs. Emma F. Dean
Mrs. Bertha F. Buchmayer Mr. Chester H. Dean
Mr. L.W. Thomas Mr. J.M.H. Frederick
Mrs. Lettie S. Musrush Mrs. Lida E. Frederick
Mr. F.F. Musrush Mrs. Nettie M. Greenley
Mr. J.A. Mastick Mrs. Nellie Lyall
Mrs. Mae K. Mastick Mrs. Louisa Miller
Mrs. Luna E. True Mill Mabel Miller
Dr. P.H. Keese Mrs. Lillian Monismith
Mrs. Lora M. Keese Mrs. Bessie Markwood
Mr. Frank P. Brown

PAST MATRONS? LINCOLN CHAPTER, No. 309, O.E.S.


Mrs. Flora E. Hall 1909-1910
Mrs. Sophia Z. Thomas 1911
Mrs. Alice A. Cannon 1912
Mrs. Katherine Rumage- 1913
Mrs. Adele B. Weidenthal 1914
Mrs. Minnie K. Moses 1915
Mrs. Flora L. Wood 1916
Mrs. Ottillia I. Poe 1917
Mrs. Jessie M. Adams 1918
Mrs. Mina C. Mason 1919
Mrs. Lucy A. Wilkins 1920
Mrs. Elsie W. Ross 1921
Mrs. Minnie G. Cook 1922
Mrs. Claire L. Edwards 1923
Mrs. Ruth Rl Hart 1924
Mrs. Mary E. Craig 1925
Mrs. Nelle W. Mountcastle 1926
Mrs. Marie A. Singleton 1927
Mrs. Nora B. Boutall 1928
Mrs. Lucy M. Hoagland 1929
Mrs. Lida M. Smith 1930
Mrs. Ruth I Rehfuss 1931
Mrs. Zoe C. Loomis 1932
Mrs. Bertha I. Garner 1933
Mrs. Gertrude M. Shaver 1934
Mrs. Clara N. Pagel 1935
Mrs. Margaret A. Williamson 1936
Mrs. Leona A. Dippel 1937
Mrs. Mayme E. Hillen 1938
Mrs. Vera P. Brotta 1939
Mrs. Mildred Bomgardner 1940
Mrs. Margaret H. Whittaker 1941

PAST PATRONS LINCOLN CHAPTER, No. 309, O.E.S.

Mr. James A. Cannon 1909
Mr. Alfred M. Hall 1910
Mr. Lewis W. Thomas 1911
Mr. James C. Cannon 1912
Dr. Charles L. Wood 1913
Mr. James J. Hinslea 1914
Mr. Joseph R. Poe 1915
Mr. Albert R. Maskell 1916
Mr. Bert L. Wilkins 1917
Mr. Evan W. Jones 1918
Mr. Henry J. Weidentahl 1919
Mr. Joseph Mottershead 1920
Mr. Fred C. Wilkins 1921
Mr. Thomas F. Zealand 1922
Mr. John W. Davis 1923
Mr. George J. Maisch 1924
Mr. Arthur W. Edwards 1925
Mr. John M. Moyer 1926
Mr. Bruce J. Boutall 1927
Mr. Russell B. Wise 1928
Mr. Cyrus C. Dash 1929
Mr. Raymond L. Pagel 1930
Mr. Adolph J. Reiner 1931
Mr. Jacob Willard 1932
Mr. J. Henry Dippel 1933
Mr. Homer P. Bomgardner 1934
Mr. Edwin C. Williamson 1935
Mr. Elatus G. Loomis 1936
Mr. Harry E. Garner 1937
Mr. Neil W. McGill 1938
Mr. Walter S. Pickin 1939
Mr. Rex Kintner 1940
Mr. Edward C. Quade 1941

 

top








33:11
LAKEWOOD LODGE NO. 601, F. & A.M.
E. GEORGE LINDSTROM'S UNPUBLISHED MATERIAL

(The following account from the graphic pen of our distinguished Past Master and the first Historian of Lakewood Lodge, Wor. Bro. Henry J. Weidenthal, furnishes a fitting prelude to the celebration, May 20-25, of the 25th anniversary of the laying of the cornerstone of our Temple.)

The genesis of Lakewood Lodge is found in the meetings held by a little group of Masons then living in the growing village of Lakewood. That was in the year 1907. These Masons were members of lodges in Cleveland and elsewhere who had vision enough to realize that the time could not be far distant when a Masonic lodge would be a necessity in the suburban city.

At these meetings, ways and means were discussed and a partial census of the Masonic population of Lakewood was taken. In the fall of 1907 a petition for a dispensation was drafted and this was signed by 116 Master Masons. The request was granted and thus the actual Masonic history of Lakewood was begun.

This recitation of the mere facts seems to make the formation of Lakewood Lodge a simple process. But we of today would find it difficult to understand the amount of labor that was put into Lakewood Masonry up to the time that the dispensation was granted.

Let us go back a matter of thirty years and picture Lakewood as it then was. A few thousand men and women constituted its population. There was not a single hall fit to house a Masonic institution. At the corner of Detroit avenue (it was Detroit street in those pioneer days) and Warren road there stood a two-story brick block erected on the site of the toll house that had been torn down but a few years before. This block originally designed as a dance hall had been made over into office suites, and here seemed to be the only possible location for a new lodge. Negotiations for a lease of the second floor of this building were successfully concluded and Brother L.W. Thomas, a competent architect, agreed to furnish plans for the remodeling. All this was necessary even before a dispensation could be granted, for no Grand Master would grant such a dispensation unless he were assured that the prospective lodge had an adequate and safe place of meeting.

Several thousand dollars were needed. We can hardly realize the amount of work it took to raise the money and proceed with the making of lodge quarters. It was only the enthusiasm of the little group of Masonic pioneers that finally brought success.

The first regular meeting under dispensation was held in the lodge room at Detroit avenue and Warren road on March 24, 1908.

At this point a sketchy description of the first meeting place of Lakewood Lodge may not be uninteresting to the several hundred brothers who never were inside its doors. The anteroom was small and plainly furnished. The lodge room was almost square with a low ceiling that made ventilation practically impossible during the hot weather. The decorations were in blue and a green figured carpet was on the floor. A younger brother seeking information on the subject of why a Blue Lodge should install a green carpet was told the sad truth--that the green carpet was a remnant that could be bought cheap and anyway it "looked kind of blue" under artificial light.

The heating was by natural gas stoves placed in the northwest corner and alongside the desks of the of the treasurer and secretary. The corners were popular places for the brethren on cold nights. The platform which constituted the East was built entirely across the room and on it in addition to the Master's chair were the desks of the secretary and treasurer as well as a reed organ that was the joy of every member.

Because of the necessity to cut expenses, the switches for the lights were placed in the tyler's room and the brothers will certainly recollect with what anxiety the late Brother J.E. Tegardine, the tyler, used to peep through the little hole cut in the door so he could see just when to turn the lights up or down.

The floors of the old lodge room were not soundproof and there was always some anxiety during certain degrees because we felt that the good housewife buying her pound of porterhouse from the butcher downstairs might figure there was a riot going on upstairs and call the town marshal.

But in spite of the physical handicaps those who met there will testify that those were happy and profitable days.

The matter of a lodge home having been settled and the dispensation granted, the first regular meeting of Lakewood Lodge, U.D., was held March 24, 1908.

From March, 1908, until October, 22, 1908, Lakewood Lodge worked diligently under dispensation. At the meeting of the Grand Lodge on the date mentioned Lakewood Lodge was granted a charter.

On November 7, 1908, the lodge room of Lakewood Lodge No. 601, Free and Accepted Masons, was dedicated and the lodge constituted and consecrated.

Thus was born Lakewood Lodge No. 601. The baby lodge has grown in numbers in the intervening years until it is today one of the most flourishing lodges in the Ohio jurisdiction. But better than its growth in numerical strength has been its growth in spiritual strength. From the beginning Lakewood Lodge has stood for everything that is best in the affairs of Masonry, of home, of the city, the state and the nation. Lakewood Lodge has stood at the bedside of the sick; it has comforted the distressed; it has aided the widow and the child. It gave its young manhood when our country called.

With this splendid heritage the Lakewood Lodge of tomorrow can be no other than the Lakewood Lodge of the past and of today.

Symbolic Freemasonry--or the "Blue Lodge," as it is commonly called--is the most ancient of all the rites of our Order.

It is at once the cornerstone and foundation of the entire Masonic structure. Without it there would be no Capitular, Cryptic, Chivalric or Scottish rites in this or any other country.

By the same token, only a brother in good standing in his symbolic lodge is eligible for membership in these Masonic bodies. Loss of that standing automatically cancels a member's affiliation in any or all the other rites.

Symbolic Masonry derives its name from the fact that in its three important degrees of Entered Apprentice, Fellow Craft and Master Mason, tools and implements of architecture and symbolic emblems most expressive are selected by the Fraternity to imprint on the mind wise and serious truths. Every word spoken and every act performed in these three beautiful fundamental degrees is but a symbol of some deeper--often hidden-meaning. Herein, indeed, lies the secret of the grip by which Freemasonry holds all sincere seekers for the great and profound truths of life.

"Ask, it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you."

Thus it is with every candidate who crosses the threshold of Freemasonry as an Entered Apprentice. Great and glorious truths, profound and beautiful mysteries are in waiting--but only those who earnestly seek shall truly find.

Unfortunate, indeed is that worldly brother who sees and hears only the ceremonies of his initiation, who fails to discover the deeper, hidden meanings of Masonry's rituals, for he has failed to find not only the beauty but the entire purpose of that ancient and honorable institution.

Thus through a succession of ages are transmitted, unimpaired, the most excellent tenets of our profession.

PAST MASTERS


Dr. Philip Kees 1909
Alfred M. Hall 1910
A.C. Bagnall 1911
R.B. Sanders 1912
G.A. Andrews 1913
Louis Rumage 1914
H.N. Pleasance 1915
B.L. Wilkins 1916
William Bayne 1917
Henry J. Weidenthal 1918
J.H. Johnson 1919
J.D. Cunningham 1920
Herman Thiessen 1921
Marcus H. Moffett 1922
H.W. Kennedy 1923
Harry Lutz 1924
A.B. Greenley 1925
Geo. A. Toepfer 1926
Harry A. Nicol 1927
Chas. Mason 1928
Elatus G. Loomis 1929
A.L. Kloots 1930
John G. Stoll 1931
Marion A. Warner 1932
Alpheus A. Stephens 1933
Don V. Peden 1934
Homer A. Miner 1935
E.N. Shawhan 1936
Donald F. Lybarger 1937
William E. Parker 1938
Earel H. Bergman 1939
Harold N. McLaughlin 1940

 

top








33:12
LAKEWOOD COUNCIL, NO. 125
E. GEORGE LINDSTROM'S UNPUBLISHED MATERIAL

What is Cryptic Masonry?

The Cryptic Rite, while possible somewhat less know than Capitular is none-the-less one of the most beautiful and impressive parts of Masonry. Common called the Council, it includes the Royal and Select Master as well as the Super Excellent Master degrees.

To be eligible for this branch of the York Rite, one must be a member of both a symbolic lodge and Royal Arch Chapter. Closely associated with Capitular Masonry, the Cryptic degrees elaborate to a considerable extent and contribute a most important step in the Masonic ladder. It is, in fact, through the work of the Council that the candidate completes the "circle of perfection."

In no other degree of the York Rite will be found a more dramatic, more impressive or more elaborate degree than that of Super Excellent Master. Requiring a cast of some sixty persons, as well as unusual dramatic talent in many of its members, this degree has been called one of the finest of all Freemasonry.

The presiding officer of the Council is known as its Illustrious Master and meetings, or assemblies, are usually held monthly.

The meaning of the word "Cryptic" is "hidden" or "secret."

The institution of Freemasonry is universal. It stretches from East to West, from North to South, and embraces within itself the representatives of every branch of the human family. Masonry stands for the great principle which is to make life tolerable and society possible.

We are animated by the one purpose--the upbuilding of man and to spread the gospel of the Fatherhood of Good and the Brotherhood of Man. We believe in establishing these principles where we go and applying in our every day life those great principles taught us as Masons.

On October 5, 1920, a meeting was called to discuss the formation of a Council of Royal and Select Masters in Lakewood, or at least, to consider the advisability of such a move. The main desire in mind was to further spread the beautiful lessons of Cryptic Masonry in Lakewood and making it possible to confer the entire York Rite in Lakewood Temple.

Ill. Comp. Frank H. Snyder, Past Master of Canton Council No. 35, in 1919, was elected as the first Illustrious Master. Comp. Wm. F. Rapprich was elected as the first Deputy Master and Comp. D.A. Williams was elected as first Principal Conductor of Work. It was decided that meetings were to be held on the first Tuesday of the month and that the Council be named Lakewood Council No. 125, R. & S. M.

Two months later the by-laws were approved at a special meeting, a petition praying for a dispensation to open and hold a Council of Royal and Select Masters in this city was signed by thirteen Companions, to-wit: Ill. F.H. Snyder, W.F. Rapprich, D.A. Williams, C.G. White, F.E. Barber, F.P. Lamb, E.A. Pusch, F.S. Freer, R. H. Domer, J. Hogue, D.A. Pomeroy, M.G. Monroe, and C.T. Cook. The dispensation was issued on January 2, 1921, by Most Ill. Comp. Lewis B. Shaw, Grand Master of the State of Ohio.

On February 1, 1921, Rt. Ill. Comp. W.T.S. O'Hara, Grand Recorder, acting as Most Ill. Grand Master, proceeded to Lakewood and opened a special emergency assembly of the Grand Council of Ohio, in which Lakewood Council was duly organized under dispensation with the following named officers:
 
 

Ill. Comp. F.H. Snyder . . . . T.I.M.
Comp. W.F. Rapprich . . . . . D.I.M.
Comp. D.A. Williams . . . . . P.C. of W.
Comp. F.E. Barber . . . . . . Treasurer
Comp. F.P. Lamb . . . . . . . Recorder
Comp. F.S. Greer . . . . . . . Capt. of Guard
Comp. C.G. White . . . . . . . Conductor of C.
Comp. E.A. Pusch . . . . . . . Steward
Comp. C.T. Cook . . . . . . . Sentinel

On March 1, 1921, a class of 62 candidates witnessed the first degree work of the Council

On May 3, 1921, a class of 23 candidates raised the number to 85 for the first Council year which ended May 31, 1921.

On June 7, 1921, more candidates were admitted at an afternoon assembly, followed by the Super Excellent degree which was staged through the courtesy of the members of Elyria Council No. 86.

On August 2, and September 6, 1921, the membership was 122, the names of whom are found on the charter of the Council.

On October 4, 1921, Ill. Comp. F.H. Snyder, J.E. Townsend, D.A. Williams and F.P. Lamb attended the 92nd Annual Assembly of the Grand Council of Royal and Select Masters at Dayton, Ohio, and presented the books of the Lakewood Council to the committee on Charters and Dispensation, who straight-forwardly recommended that a charter be granted.

On November 1, 1921, Most Ill. Comp. C.L. Smith, Grand Master of the State of Ohio proceeded to Lakewood and opened the Grand Council of Ohio in a special emergency assembly for the purpose of constituting and dedicating Lakewood Council No. 125, R. & S.M. of the State of Ohio. Most Ill. Comp. C.L. Smith greatly appreciated the honor of being elected with Most Ill. Comp. W. T.S. O'Hara, R.A. Armstrong and H.E. Faubel as honorary members of Lakewood Council.

The same officers who served the Council under dispensation were elected to serve another year. Owing to sickness, business and other causes, all but one of the officers found it necessary to resign and at election in November, 1922, the following officers were installed:
 
 

J.E. Townsend . . . .  . .  T.I.M.
C.G. White . . . . . . . . Deputy Master
W.C. Ulrich . . .  . . . . Conductor of Work
F.E. Barber . . . . . . . . Treasurer
Comp. F.P. Lamb . . . . . . Recorder
C.L. Swearingen . . . . . . Capt. of Guard
H.C. Livingstone . . . . . Conductor of C.
B.B. Crosby . . . . . . . . Steward

In 1922 the Council gained 56 members.
In 1923 the Council gained 17 members.
In 1924 the Council gained 36 members.
In 1925 the Council gained 23 members.

And so on down the years the Council has continued to gain and hold its membership. Lakewood Council has continued to gain and hold its membership. Lakewood Council has made an enviable record and is noted for its efficiency in which the various degrees are conferred.

On January 20, 1925, under the direction of Ill. Comp. Wm. C. Ulrich, the officers exemplified the Super Excellent degree for the first time by its own members. This event passed into history as one of the most important events in the history of Lakewood Temple. They were honored by the presence of Most Ill. Comp. C.O. Sheppard and the Conductor of Council of the Grand Council of the State of Ohio, which has the largest jurisdiction of Cryptic Masonry in the world and with the exception of Texas has over twice the membership of any other state in this country.

Masonry, however never needed members to justify its existence. An institution that through the succeeding generations has gathered unto itself the best and highest talents of the greatest men is its own justification and an answer to all attacks upon it.

The tenth and last degree in the Circle of Perfection in Ancient Craft Masonry, the Super Excellent degree, was conferred by the officers and dramatic team of Lakewood Council on Tuesday, January 20, 1925, the first time this dramatic performance was ever attempted by a group of Lakewood Masons under the direction of Ill. Master William C. Ulrich. After much study and preparation the cast of nearly 70, clothed in beautiful costumes and makeup, the performance was completed to the satisfaction of local members and many distinguished visitors throughout the state.
 
 

Frank H. Snyder . . . . . . . . . . . 1921-22
J. Edward Townsend . . . . . . . . .  1923
Charles G. White . . . . . . . . . . 1924
William C. Ulrich . . . . . . . . . . 1925
*Charles L. Swearingen . . . . . . . 1926
Hugh C. Livingstone . . . . . . . . . 1927
Blaine B. Crosby . . . . . . . . . . 1928
Mark G. Snow . . . . . . . . . . . . 1929
S.O. Champion . . . . . . . . . . . . 1930
B.H. Craig . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1931
A.R. Pray . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1932
Floyd P. Runyan . . . . . . . . . . . 1933
H.N. Rice . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1934
Harvey R. Wagar . . . . . . . . . . . 1935
Frank L. Miller . . . . . . . . . . . 1936
Frank H. Kelly . . . . . . . . . . . . 1937
R.R. Emmet . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1938
A.A. Stephens . . . . . . . . . . . . 1939
Paul W. Heller . . . . . . . . . . . . 1940
George E. Flower . . . . . . . . . . . 1941
E. George Lindstrom . . . . . . . . .  1942
Harold Weaver . . . . . . . . . . . . 1943
S.T. Rinker . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1944

HONORARY DEGREE OF SUPEREXCELLENT MASTER exemplified by Lakewood Council No. 125, R. & S.M., on the occasion of its first assembly in this degree Tuesday, January 20, 1925, & P.M. Wm. C. Ulrich, Thrice Illustrious Master - 1925.

GUESTS OF HONOR: Oliver D. Everhard--Roy S. Rogers, Capt. of the Guard & Conductor of Council of the Grand Council, Royal and Select Maters of the State of Ohio. All members of Cryptic Masonry are invited.

OFFICERS OF LAKEWOOD COUNCIL No. 125

Royal and Select Masters

Thrice Illustrious Master . . . . . Wm. C. Ulrich
Deputy Illustrious Master . . . . . C.L. Swearingen
Principal Conductor of Work . . . . H.C. Livingstone
Treasurer . . . . . . . . . . . . . . F.E. Barber
Recorder . . . . . . . . . . . . . . F.P. Lamb
Captain of the Guard . . . . . . . . B.B. Crosby
Conductor of Council . . . . . . . . M.G. Snow
Steward . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . O.S. Champion
Asst. Steward . . . . . . . . . . . . B.H. Craig
Marshal . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . A.P. Hart
Sentinel . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . M.E. Myers

 
Chaplain . . . . . . . . . . . . Rev. Joseph Mottershead
Color Bearer . . . . . . . . .  Harry Lutz
Custodian of Properties . . . .  F.H. Kelly
Organist . . . . . . . . . . .  J.H. Schoen
Editor and Historian . . . . . . Wm. C. Ulrich

Past Thrice Illustrious Masters:

1921-1922. . . . . . . . . . . . .  F.H. Snyder
1923 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . J.E. Townsend
1924 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . C.G. White

 
Trustees
1 Year Trustee. . . . . . . . . . . .
F.A. Colburn
2 Year Trustee. . . . . . . . . . .  C.C. Braun
31 Year Trustee. . . . . . . . . . .  C.G. White

Honorary Members:
Robt. Armstrong, H.J. Faubel
Wm. T.S. O'Hara, C.L. Smith

Cryptic Masonry was instituted in Lakewood when the charter was granted October 4, 1921, to one hundred and twenty-two Royal and Select Masters to form Lakewood Council No. 125, R.& S.M.

CEREMONIAL

OPENING

Entrance and Posting of Colors
Opening Ceremony
"Offer up our fervent prayers to Almighty God for His protecting care and favor."
 
 

SECTION ONE

Introduction and Obligation
Esoteric
Square, Triangle and Circle
Emblematical Lecture . .  . . . . Charles G. White

TEAM

A. Becher H.W. Engleman Chas. McPhail
J.T. Borgerman E. Haines J.J. McFarland
L.S. Cartwright E.A. Hershberger C.F. Pichon
H.U. Cowell J.F. Hogue W.L. Shafer
O.L. Craig F.A. Hunt G. Swanker
H.H. Cutts C.H. Jones G.A. Toepfer
G.C. Davis W.F. Yingling

Historical Lecture . . . . . . . . . . B.B. Crosby
           "Fail not to mark the lesson of Fidelity".

SECTION TWO
Captive Jews in Babylon
TIME--About Ten Years before the Siege

This scene represents the Jewish people who were taken captive at the conclusion of the first and second sieges of Jerusalem and carried to Babylon by Nebuchadnezzar.
Eziekiel . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . E. George Lindstrom

QUARTET

Claude H. Selby Vern T. Harris
Thom. W. Watson Geo. W. Austin
"So may we ever walk in Faith; promote Friendship; and practice Fidelity."

SECTION THREE
PART 1

TIME--586 B.C., the Last Day of the Third and Last Siege of Jerusalem.
Gedaliah, Keepers of the of the Temple, and five Companions assembled in one of the Courts of King Zedekiah's Place.
 
 
Gedaliah, Governor of Judah . . . . . . . . . M.G. Snow
First Keeper . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . A.P. Hart
Second Keeper . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . H.S. Allen
Third Keeper . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . E.W. Allen
King's Messenger . . . . . . . . . . . . . . J.H. Fusee
Companions: C.O. Davis, F.P. Holmes, B.L. Peter, E.A.
Pusch, W.W. Raynolds
"Zedekiah, King of Judah, sendeth greetings."

PART II
Court of Zedekiah
TIME--the same day
Entrance of Zedekiah, the twentieth and last King of Judah, in the last hour of the siege.


Zedekiah, King of Judah . . . . . . . . . . . . . C.L. Swearingen
Pashur, Prince of Judah . . . . . . . . . . . . . F.F. Musrush
Zephaniah, Priest and Ruler of the Temple . . . . J.E. Townsend
Shaphatiah, Prince of Judah . . . . . . . . . . . C.L. Foster
Jucal, Prince of Judah . . . . . . . . . . . . . H.L. Wagar
Shelemiah, Prince of Judah . . . . . . . . . . .  A.C. Morse
Jonathan, Scribe . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . E.C. Laude
Jeremiah, A Priest and Prophet . . . . . . . . . Rev. Joseph Mottershead
First Herald . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . W.A. Aichele
Second Herald . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . J.E. McTigue
Third Herald . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . H.W. Lloyd
Fourth Herald . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . J.H. Schoen
Seraiah, High Priest . . . .  . . . . . . . . . . H.F. Hotes
Trumpeter . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . H.C. Mounce
Throne Guards . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . T.D. Auble, H.A. Fricker
"Henceforth thou shalt see my face no more forever"

INTERMISSION

SECTION FOUR

The Court of Nebuchadnezzar at Riblah
TIME--Three days later

Nebuchadnezzar, King of Babylon, has come to Riblah to learn of the progress of the Babylonian armies in their siege of Jerusalem. While there, he learns of the capture of Jerusalem, and orders its complete destruction, the punishment of King Zedekiah and the complete captivity of the people.
 
Nebuchadnezzar, King of Babylon . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Wm. Bayne
Ashpenaz, (Rab-sarisim) Master of the Eunuchs . . . . . . . . . . . Harvey R. Snyder
Evil-merodach, (Son of Nebuchadnezzar) Prince of Babylonia . . . . . A. Nordahl, Jr.
Belteshazzar, (Daniel the Prophet) Chief of Magicians . . . . . . . H.C. Livingstone
Nebuzar-adan, (Rab-tabbachim) Captain of the Guard . . . . . . . . . Harry Lutz
Samgar-nebo (Sarsechim) Chief of the Princes . . . . . . . . . . . . J.W. Gillespie
Nebushasban (Rab-saris) Chief of the Captains) . . . . . . . . . . . U.V. Osgood
Nergal-sharezer, (Rab-Mag) Chief of the Priests . . . . . . . . . . F.W. Maerkle
Arioch, Captain of the Body Guard. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . G.H. Wagner
Inner Guard . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . A.P. Hart
Outer Guard . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  H.S. Allen
Trumpeter . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  H.C. Mounce
Cymbalist . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  . . . . . . . . . . M.E. Myers
Throne Guards . . . . . . .  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . G.J. Hintz, H.C. Bernsee
Body Guards
E.T. Armesy, C.A. Elicker, A.C. Hausmann, F.A. Mowll, H. Riggs, R.G. Sidnell, H.C. Trace, H.M. Whaling, J.W. Wulf
"The words of the prophets have been fulfilled."

SECTION FIVE

Circle of Friendship
"We no greet you with the title of SUPER EXCELLENT MASTER"

CLOSING

The drum corps of Holy Grail Commandery No. 70, K.T., will give an exhibition during the intermission between Section Three and Section Four. The players are as follows:

R.V. Acker O.W. Filkins G.B. Parr
H.D. Austin H.J. Koellicker W.H. Stoll
J. Bloor W.M. Morfoot P.D. Van Dervort
E. J. Brunner M.E. Myers W.R. Whitney
E.H. Butler R.H. Nitschke L.H. Winter
C.P. Young

Light refreshments will follow the ceremonial.

EXECUTIVE STAFF
of
Super Excellent Master Degree


General Director . . . . . . . . . . . . Wm. C. Ulrich
Dramatic Director . . . . . . . . . . . . R.B. Wise
Properties and Wardrobe Director . . . . F.H. Kelley
Stage and Lighting Director . . . . . . . B.H. Craig
Music Director . . . . . . . . . . . . .  J.H. Schoen
Reception Committee . . . . . . . . . . . Past T.I.M.'s
Registrar . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . F.P. Lamb

The T.I. Master cannot greet everyone individually, but courteously extends a hearty welcome to all.

Theis beautiful and instructive degree, which inculcates a reverence for and a belief in the Only Living and True God, is conferred on a Select Master that he may profit thereby.
 
 

top
 

Return to Local History Files Main Page